More and more teenagers in the Irving area are visiting our orthodontist office requesting Invisalign Teen clear aligners to straighten their teeth instead of traditional metal braces. While braces are excellent for patients of all ages because they’re smaller, more attractive and more comfortable than ever, Invisalign Teen offers another great choice. Combined with a retention program, Invisalign Teen can give teens and adults a straighter, more confident smile that will last a lifetime. Learn more to see if it’s something you want to consider for your teenager.
What IS Invisalign Teen
Invisalign for Teens is customized to fit your mouth, clear, removable, comfortable and guaranteed to straighten your teeth. These BPA-free, removable plastic aligners that do much of the same work as metal braces, made specifically for teenagers. Instead of the brackets and wires associated with traditional braces, Invisalign uses a series of clear, removable aligners that have been custom-made for your teen’s teeth. Invisalign Teen treatment often looks just like the plastic removable retainers that you get when you’re finished with your metal braces or any orthodontic treatment.
Using our 3-D iTero scanner, Dr. Travers takes a quick, comfortable scan of your teen’s teeth and gums then uses that to create the aligner molds. When your teen wears each set of aligners, the aligners put pressure on the teeth, gradually shifting them out of misalignment and into alignment. Every two weeks, your teen will trade out the old aligner for a new one, and the teeth will gradually move into the correct position, achieving that confident smile.
Is Your Teen Eligible for Invisalign?
In the past, Invisalign was mostly reserved for adult treatment but as the practice has developed, it has become an effective option for younger patients too. Invisalign can be used for teens whose permanent teeth have erupted — which includes most teenagers. While past versions of Invisalign usually treated more simple orthodontic problems, today’s Invisalign Teen is commonly used for mild, moderate and complex issues including overcrowding, overbite, underbite and gaps between teeth. New SmartTrack material is now used to create the clear aligners which gives Dr. Travers more control over the precise movements needed to perfect your smile. Your Irving orthodontist is also able to use tooth-colored attachments and fixed retainers to further complicated movements. This invisible way to straighten your teeth can be as effective as braces for many teenagers. A trained orthodontist like Dr. Travers should evaluate your teen’s individual dental challenges to find out for sure if Invisalign Teen is the best option for him or her.
Pros of Invisalign Teen Treatment
Invisalign has many advantages for your teenager that are outlined here:
- Comfortable Treatment Put them in and forget them! The smooth plastic used to make your clear aligners are custom-fitted to your teen’s mouth and trimmed at the gumline for a perfect fit. This makes Invisalign Teen more comfortable than the metal or ceramic brackets and wires that can poke and rub the inside of your gums and cause irritation and cuts. Once you’ve become used to wearing your aligners, you will hardly know you have them in.
- Promotes Confidence The translucent plastic makes your aligners almost invisible, giving your teen the self-confidence to show their smile throughout treatment. No more worrying about being called “brace-face” or being afraid to draw attention to your metal braces. Although many of our teens and adults choose the Damon braces system for a more discreet alternative, Invisalign Teen offers the best of both worlds because it’s removable and aesthetically appealing. With Invisalign Teen, no one needs to know your teen is straightening their teeth, removing a potential source of real anxiety for them and giving them the confidence to be themselves in front of everyone.
- Eat What You Want Teens today have busy schedules and big appetites. Your teen’s food consumption won’t be slowed down or restricted with Invisalign Teen treatment. With traditional braces, you must avoid a long list of foods for fear of damage to braces or a higher risk of food getting stuck in them. No popcorn, taffy, caramels, corn on the cob, carrots, pizza crust, hard candy, and this list goes on. With the removable Invisalign aligners, when it is time to eat, you can eat whatever you like, whenever you like. You simply take your aligners out, store them in a retainer case while you eat, then clean and replace them after you brush your teeth.
- Better Oral Hygiene Our Irving orthodontic families love that Invisalign makes it easy to brush and floss normally to maintain proper oral hygiene. You don’t have to attempt to work around brackets and wires and you don’t have to worry about food particles sticking inside and around them. Teens can remove their aligners and brush and floss using the same techniques you’ve taught them from childhood. And your teen will likely maintain better oral health because they will be brushing their teeth more often — usually after every meal before putting the aligners back in.
- Shorter, Less Frequent Orthodontic Appointments At Travers Orthodontics, our team loves seeing our Irving area patients as often as possible! But with Invisalign Teen, you can free up some time in your busy schedules with less frequent and shorter visits to our office! Unlike braces, clear aligner treatment doesn’t require any adjustments. Your teen will simply come in about every six to eight weeks for a quick check-up.
No Emergency Visits Sometimes braces-wearers find themselves in an emergency when a bracket or wire comes loose or breaks. Invisalign Teen offers removable plastic aligner trays that won’t cause you to make an emergency visit to our office!
- Precision Orthodontic Care For A Perfect Smile Invisalign Teen treatment is extremely precise. The system is based on computerized treatment planning and the aligners are custom made for your child’s mouth. The precision, combined with Dr. Travers’ experience, ensures amazing results!
- Easier Activities We understand your teen’s busy schedule and don’t want to hinder them from enjoying every minute. Sports, instruments and other activities can be enjoyed without a care with Invisalign Teen. With the removable aligners, your teen can play sports being concerned that they might get hit in the mouth by a ball, which could cause substantial damage when wearing braces. They can also continue playing musical instruments properly, without braces getting in the way. By requiring minimal lifestyle changes, Invisalign Teen can be an easier transition for your teen.
- Now Costs About The Same As Braces There is a misconception that Invisalign is always going to be more expensive than traditional braces or other treatments. While that may have been true initially, today most braces and Invisalign treatments cost about the same. And if your insurance covers braces, most plans will also cover Invisalign. At Travers Orthodontics, we also offer flexible and affordable monthly payment plans as well.
Cons of Invisalign Teen Treatment
- Success is Based on Compliance In the case of Invisalign Teen, one of the most sought after benefits can also be a detriment to successful treatment — being able to remove the aligners. Your teen should plan to wear their aligners 20 to 22 hours per day and change them to a new set every two weeks. Clinical study data show that teens wear their aligners on average for just under 21 hours per day, exactly as recommended. But if you don’t wear them, they won’t work. For the majority of teenagers, it’s not a huge deal and they’re willing to wear them according to plan to get a beautiful smile.
To help parents and teens keep track of their use, Invisalign Teen has a built-in assurance check. Each aligner has blue indicators that fade over time when used as directed, so Dr. Travers and parents can track compliance. As a parent, you know your teen best. If you don’t think they’ll stick with the treatment plan, braces could be a better option as they’re bonded to the teeth.
- Losing or Damaging Aligners The fact that aligners can be removed is great for many teens and adults. However, that means you can also lose or damage them. When you take out your aligners to eat or brush, it’s important to place them in the case Dr. Travers will give you so they don’t get swept away in the trash or knocked off the table. It’s also important to care for your Invisalign Teen aligners by properly cleaning them and making sure you don’t subject them to hot water or temperatures. If you do lose or damage your aligners, don’t worry. Invisalign Teen comes with a few free replacements which we can send your way after you contact us.
Retention – Final Element of Invisalign Teen Success
A retainer is a plastic or metal appliance custom-fitted by Dr. Travers that keeps teeth aligned after you have completed orthodontic treatment. Whether you begin this retention phase after your braces are removed or when your last Invisalign Teen aligners have been worn, it is one of the most important parts of your orthodontic treatment plan. Your retainer will apply the pressure and guidance needed to keep your teeth from drifting back to their original positions.
By using retainers, the teeth are literally being “retained” in their new position. The only guaranteed way to keep your teeth from shifting is by using a retainer to keep them in the right position. Depending on the type of retainer you have, we’ll show you how to brush your retainer and care for it during your treatment.
Straighter Teeth Are Guaranteed From Your Irving Orthodontist!
There’s not much better than seeing your teen emerge from orthodontic treatment with a confident, healthy, beautiful smile! At Travers Orthodontics you can trust that end result! Invisalign Teen is backed by the Invisalign Teen Guarantee: if you’re unsatisfied with treatment within the first six months, you can switch to braces at no additional cost – guaranteed! To find out if Invisalign Teen is right for your teen, book a free consultation with our Irving orthodontist Dr. Travers today! Call 972-910-8202 or request an appointment online! We look forward to creating your sparkling smile!